21 tips for better visual storytelling

Last week we had a fabulous #BizHeroes chat on Visual Storytelling with Social Media thought-leader, co-founder and CMO of Branderati, Ekaterina Walter. She shared some extraordinary stats on how, and which, visuals are driving conversations and interaction as well as rock solid tips on how to step up your marketing game.

I walked away from the chat asking myself one question: am I engaging my community the best I can with visuals? My answer: probably not.

If you didn’t have a chance to make it to the chat, you can browse through all the tweets in this Storify: How to Market Your Business with Visual Storytelling.

But if you don’t have time for thumbing through the entire storify, here’s your cheat-sheet of tips and awesome stats from Ekaterina’s research that are inspiring me to dig deeper into our own analytics, think harder about where and how we can incorporate more images and video and, in general, simply do better!

1. In the age of “infobesity” and with an adult attention span of 3-8 seconds, marketers need to learn how to stand out with visual content.
  2. Viewers spend 100% more time on web pages with videos. 60% are more likely to buy a product if video is included.
  3. Web posts w/visuals drive up to 180% more engagement than those without visuals.
  4. Publishers who use infographics grow in traffic on average of 12% more than those who don’t.
  5. According to Sephora, their Pinterest followers spend 15X more than its Facebook fans.
  6. 90% of information transmitted to the brain is visual and processed 60,000x faster.
  7. Cartoons can increase your newsletter open rate to 45% vs 5% industry standard.
  8. The 7 elements of visual storytelling are: design, personalisation, usefulness, personality, storytelling, share-worthiness, real-time app. Know them!
  9. Don’t be afraid of low-fi images taken on the go, we live in the Now! economy and ppl get it. Have fun w/ it.
  10. Make content easy to consume, make it snackable!
  11. Remember the Cs: content + context: know what content to place on what networks. Ex: GIFs do well on Tumblr, but not others.
  12. Ensure every blog post has at least one great picture and you have a Pin It button on your site for heavy Pinterest users.
  13. Twitter is extremely visual, even if you are sharing a link attach a picture to draw attention and increase click-through.
  14. On Slideshare, use less text on slides, keep it short and visual, use a catchy title, and include a “tweet this” button on the slides.
  15. Don’t be afraid to play with different types of content. See what works for your community; ask them too!

Here are a few more additional resources authored by Ekaterina herself and shared during the chat to help you tell your brand’s story:

1. 5 Ways Businesses Are Using Visual Storytelling on Facebook
  2. 5 Brands Using Instagram to Interact & Build Fan Relationships
  3. What Every Company Needs to Know About Instagram Video
  4. 6 of the Best, Boldest Uses of Vine in Marketing
  5. The Power of Visual Storytelling: How to Use Video, Visuals and Social Media to Market Your Brand

Lastly, if you want to give your eyes a rest and your ears a treat then plug into this podcast and interview with Ekaterina by Kerry Gorgone on MarketingProfs. There’s great insight packed in this podcast!

There’s no one secret for success! Leave a comment and share what visuals you’re using and what’s working to help you and your brand better connect with your community.

Have a topic you’d like to see covered on an upcoming #BizHeroes chat? Drop me a suggestion in the comments below and let’s organize it.

Co-author credit: Magda Torres